Excerpt from Dave Schmidt’s Substitute Teacher Workshop presented by Greenbush.
• Each day, about 5 million children walk in into 274,000 classrooms nationwide and find they are being taught by a “substitute” teacher.
• Students will spend at least one full year with a substitute by the time they graduate.
• Classes are being turned over to people who are NOT trained as teachers; in 28 states all you need is a GED and be 18.
• Only 20% formally evaluate substitutes; 56% conduct no face-to-face interview to sign up, 77% do no teacher training; 30% do no background checks; 12% require no application form.
• High correlation between # of teacher absences and low student scores on standard tests
• Pennsylvania subs must complete 6 credit or 180 in-service hours in 5 years to be “ACTIVE”
• The poorer the school, the higher the number of challenged students, the more S.T.s
post –gazette.com PG News, 1/07/01