Substitute Procedure and Pay
The substitute teacher is to be secured in all cases by the school officials – never by the teacher. Substitute teachers shall have a valid teacher certificate or emergency certificate on file in the Kansas Department of Education and shall be paid:
- $100.00 per day
- $50.00 for half day only– does NOT include 2 different half-day sub duties
- $12.00 per hour
- *Substitute Pay for Aides will be $10.28 per hour*
After ten (10) consecutive days of teaching for the same regular classroom teacher, a substitute teacher shall be paid $150 per day thereafter (not retroactively). Substitute teachers shall take over all duties of the regular teacher, including playground supervision and noon duty, and shall observe regular teacher’s hours. Substitute teachers are encouraged to attend before-school conferences.
Cutoff date for pay on the 20th of the month is the 5th day of the previous month. Each substitute is to sign a Substitute Teacher’s Record in the office at the beginning or end of each day to provide an accurate payroll account of days taught.
- Federal Withholding Tax: Tax is withheld according to the exceptions filled out on the W-4 form on file at the Board Office.
- Social Security (FICA): Substitute teachers are covered by Social Security; withholdings are computed as per the current Social Security rate.
- Retirement: Substitute teachers do not qualify for participation in the Kansas Public Employees Retirement System.